The PEIMS Summer Submission (Submission 3) is one of four annual PEIMS Submissions required by the Texas Education Agency (TEA). LEAs must report all students served and staff employed on the snapshot date. The Summer Submission includes school year attendance, discipline, and course completion data.
Aeries provides tools to extract the appropriate data for the Summer Submission from the district's Student Information System (SIS) database. The extract programs create the files that can be submitted to TEA.
For a complete list of extract rules and edits, see TSDS Web-Enabled Data Standards (TWEDS).
For PEIMS Data Submission Timelines, see TWEDS Data Submission Timelines - PEIMS.
The following permissions must be set in Security for users who will be managing PEIMS submissions.
|Aeries Page||Action||Table/Program Area||User Permissions Needed|
|Texas State Reporting||Run extracts||Other - State Reporting||Admin|
Additionally, users will need appropriate permission to view or update the individual tables that are used for maintaining data fields used in Texas state reporting.
Most state reporting data elements are directly correlated to a field on an Aeries page. Each correlation is documented so you know exactly where the data is maintained in Aeries.
- The Field Mappings by Collection - PEIMS Summer 3 documentation provides the specific Summer elements organized by interchange and complex type.
- Additionally, the PEIMS/TSDS Field Mappings by Page documentation provides each page in Aeries where Texas state reporting information (including TSDS and PEIMS elements) can be found.
- Any local codes used for Summer PEIMS fields must be added from Update Code Table. The local codes will need to be translated to PEIMS codes, described below.
- Aeries provides several fields for maintaining student truancy information that must be reported to the state with the Summer Submission. See Texas - Truancy Information and State Reporting.
Before running the StudentAttendance interchange, run one of the following reports for all reporting periods with the Recalculate option selected:
- Student Attendance Detail
- Student Attendance Campus Summary
- Student Attendance District Summary
School Info > Imports and Exports > Texas State Reporting
Before creating extracts, verify the settings on the Options, Code Translations, and Schools tabs on the Texas State Reporting page. Also verify that the Snapshot Date is set correctly for the current school year.
Note: If you modify the Snapshot Date field, use the Save button on the Options tab to save the change.
Expand the Options tab on the Texas State Reporting page to set various options before creating extracts.
Code Translations Tab
From the Code Translations tab on the Texas State Reporting page, certain fields in Aeries can have custom local codes and descriptions mapped to the required PEIMS codes.
For the Summer Submission, the following Code Sets should be reviewed and updated if needed:
- Activities and Awards (ACD.CD)
- Behavior Location (ADS.LCN)
- Behavioral Emergency Action Taken (BER.CD)
- Behavioral Emergency Restraint Reason (BER.RS)
- Crisis Indicators (PGM.CRI)
- Discipline Violations (ADS.CD)
- Disposition (DSP.DS)
- Endorsement Codes (GES.EC)
- Free and Reduced (FRE.CD)
- Graduation Track (STU.GRT)
- Intervention Strategy (INV.CD)
- Language Fluency (STU.LF)
- Non-Campus Based Instruction (CRS.NCI)
- Pass/Fail Type (HIS.PF)
- Population Serviced (CRS.PSV)
- Special Ed Disability (CSE.DI)
- Special Ed Services (CSV.CD)
- Special Programs (PGM.CD)
- Student Gender (STU.GN)
- Student Grade Level (STU.GR)
- Student Race (STU.RC1)
- Student Suffix (STU.SF)
- Truancy Prevention Measure Indicator Code (INV.CD)
- Click Add Default Translations to automatically add any translations that are predefined in the program.
- Select a Code Set, and then click Add Local Codes to retrieve any untranslated codes that have been defined in the code table (COD). The Aeries (left) column is populated with all existing local codes.
- Click Add New Record.
- In the Aeries (left) column, select the local Code to be translated.
- In the TSDS/PEIMS (right) column, select the TSDS/PEIMS Code that will be mapped to the selected local code.
- Click the Save icon.
- To update an existing mapping, click the Pencil icon. Make changes, and then click the Save icon.
Or, click the Cancel icon to revert to the original values.
From the PEIMS tab on the Texas State Reporting page you can create the XML extract files for the Summer Submission.
- Select First Submission if you are creating the your first Summer Submission files. Otherwise, select Resubmission or Working Collection if applicable.
- Under Template Selection, click Summer (Sub 3).
- The files required for the Summer Submission are automatically selected. You can modify the selections.
- Click Create Selected Files.
Once created, the XML files are listed individually in the File Download section and can be downloaded individually by clicking the Download icon.
The default name for the individual files is District_Campus_Collection_TimeStamp_Interchange.xml, where:
- District is the six-digit county-district number
- Campus is the three-digit campus ID (or 000 if district wide)
- Collection is the nine-character collection (ending school year & submission)
- TimeStamp is the 12-digit date-time-stamp when the interchange was created (YYYYMMDDHHMM)
- Interchange is the name of the interchange created